STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
These big and meaty mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of bread, onions, cheese and herbs. Serve them as a generous side dish or a savoury vegetarian entrée.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp oregano crumbled
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups fresh bread cubes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk (2%)
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Using a spoon, scoop gills out of mushrooms and discard.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and 1/2 tsp oregano; brush mixture over all sides of mushrooms.
- Melt butter in a frypan; sauté bell pepper and onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat.
- To prepare stuffing, combine bread, mozzarella cheese, parsley, pepper, oregano and salt in a bowl. Stir in onion mixture. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour over bread mixture and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon stuffing mixture evenly into mushrooms. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until stuffing is lightly browned and mushrooms are tender, about 25 minutes.
316 calories, 14.6 g fat, 19.4 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 3.6 g fibre, 655 mg sodium