SUMMER PEACH PIE
SUMMER PEACH PIE
- Pastry for a 9 inch double-crust deep-dish pie
- 6 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- On a lightly floured surface roll out half of pastry, fit into a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate, allowing for 1/2 inch overhang.
- Combine next 6 ingredients (peaches through vanilla); spoon into crust. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry and use for top crust. Trim, fold and flute edges of pastry.
- Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with 2 tsp sugar. Cut vents in top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F. Continue baking for 44 – 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and thickened.
- Cool pie on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
261 calories, 8 g fat, 3 g protein, 46.3 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fibre, 113 mg sodium
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening, chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Yield: Makes 1 double or 2 single 9 inch deep-dish crust(s).
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut in half of butter and half of shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Cut in remaining butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Pour buttermilk over flour mixture; mix lightly with a fork just until dough starts to hold together.
- Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape.
- Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.