SUMMERTIME YAM SALAD
This cold yam salad is flavoured with brown sugar, rice vinegar, Dijon mustard and hot pepper sauce. Serve it as a side dish at a summer backyard barbecue or picnic.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 8 cups cubed peeled yams
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- Cook yams in boiling salted water just until tender; drain. Transfer yams to a bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dressing, whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, hot pepper sauce and salt until combined. Gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Combine celery, green onions, bell peppers, parsley, jalapeno pepper and yams in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir gently to combine.
308 calories, 5.1 g fat, 3.6 g protein, 62.9 g carbohydrate, 9.1 g fibre, 293 mg sodium
Hot peppers cause severe skin and eye irritation. Wear disposable gloves when handling hot peppers and avoid touching any exposed skin.