Sweet Potato Buns
These soft and fluffy homemade buns are a dream to make and are the perfect addition to any holiday meal.
Yield: 15 buns
November 12, 2020
Sweet Potato Buns
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup warm water (100-100°F)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rosemary, crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- Combine sweet potato, warm water, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt, rosemary, garlic powder in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater.
- Combine 4 cups flour and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture. Using low speed, beat just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a surface floured with remaining 1 cup flour. Knead dough gently, kneading in remaining flour so that dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise until almost doubled in volume, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1 inch thick. Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds, re-rolling scraps as necessary.
- Place rounds 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise until almost doubled in volume, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Uncover pans and bake until buns are firm and golden brown on bottoms, about 15 – 17 minutes.
- Remove buns from pan and cool on racks. May be frozen.
Nutritional analysis per bun:
286 calories, 8.3 g fat, 6.4 g protein, 46.4 g carbohydrate, 2 g fibre, 254 mg sodium
Tip: For a more traditional take on this recipe, substitute plain mashed potatoes for the sweet potatoes in this recipe.