SWEET POTATO, CORN AND JALAPENO SOUP
This creamy southwestern-style soup gets its spiciness from fresh jalapeno pepper. Serve it at the beginning of a Mexican-inspired meal.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 6 cups chicken broth or turkey stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned kernel corn
- 2 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- Fresh parsley, cilantro or pea shoots
- Chili oil
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Stir in sweet potato and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add corn and jalapeno pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in milk; cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt. Serve garnished with parsley and chili oil.
406 calories, 16 g fat, 15.8 g protein, 52.7 g carbohydrate, 4.9 g fibre, 904 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis. Nutritional analysis made with chicken broth.
Hot peppers cause severe skin and eye irritation. Wear disposable gloves when handling hot peppers and avoid touching any exposed skin.