TERIYAKI SALMON SKEWERS
Unlike more delicate fish, salmon can hold up to fairly bold flavours. These barbecued salmon skewers are marinated in a spicy-sweet blend of sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sriracha. Serve them over rice as an entrée.
Yield: Makes about 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) skinless salmon fillet, cut into thin strips
- To prepare glaze, combine soy sauce, honey, water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, Sriracha sauce and allspice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Soak skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat natural gas barbecue on high heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Thread salmon onto soaked skewers. Grill salmon skewers, turning occasionally and basting with glaze, until salmon flakes easily with a fork, about 5 - 6 minutes.
110 calories, 2.7 g fat, 14.7 g protein, 6.3 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 252 mg sodium
Sriracha sauce is a Thai hot sauce made from dried chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. Look for it in Asian grocery stores or the Asian section of large grocery stores.