TOMATO BASIL QUICHE
This egg pie almost looks like a pizza. Thanks to the addition of fresh tomatoes, basil and plenty of cheese, it kind of tastes like one too. Serve it with a green salad as an elegant brunch or lunch.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 baked 9 inch deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup light cream (10%)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; sauté just until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Spoon onion mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Whisk in cream. Pour egg mixture evenly over top of cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Bake until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 55 - 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Do not freeze.
305 calories, 21.6 g fat, 11.3 g protein, 16.9 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fibre, 613 mg sodium