TOMATO POACHED EGGS ON POLENTA
Wow guests with this unique Italian-style brunch dish. Start by making from-scratch polenta then top each serving with an egg poached in tomato sauce.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken broth or water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought or homemade tomato sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To prepare polenta, combine broth, oil, thyme, shallot, garlic and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Place tomato sauce in a deep non-stick medium frypan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Working with one egg at a time, crack each egg into a custard cup and carefully pour egg into simmering tomato sauce, spacing eggs evenly apart. Cover frypan and poach eggs until eggs are set.
- To serve, place polenta on each of 4 individual serving plates. Top each serving with 1 poached egg and tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
275 calories, 12.4 g fat, 16.7 g protein, 26.8 g carbohydrate, 3.1 g fibre, 1308 mg sodium