Tomato Rhubarb Compote
We made this fruit sauce sweet and savoury by combining tomatoes and rhubarb with fresh rosemary. Serve this flavourful compote on waffles, pancakes or French toast.
Yield: Makes about 2 cups
March 30, 2021
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups fresh or frozen diced rhubarb
- 2 cups diced seeded Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a medium non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rhubarb, tomatoes, wine, honey, vinegar, rosemary and salt; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is broken down and mixture is thickened, about 40 – 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold. May be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
30 calories, 0.4 g fat, 0.3 g protein, 6.4 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 15 mg sodium