Tuna Macaroni Bake
If you enjoyed tuna casserole as a youngster, then you will love our updated version! This casserole has been a family favourite in western Canada since the 1940s and was often made with a can of mushroom soup. Butter, flour, and milk are easily used to replace the can of soup and are items usually found in your kitchen.
Yield: Serves 6
May 28, 2020
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk (2%)
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 2 (184 g) cans solid white tuna, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coarsely crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in mustard, tuna, macaroni and cheese.
- Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole. Cover top with crushed potato chips. Bake uncovered until centre is bubbling and top is slightly browned, 20-25 minutes.
607 calories, 29.9 g fat, 29.9 g protein, 54.6 g carbohydrate, 2.6 g fibre, mg sodium