TURKEY POT PIE
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups cubed unpeeled red potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk (2%)
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Flour (for dusting surface)*
- Easy Puff Pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large deep frypan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add carrot and celery; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, chicken broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together cornstarch and milk until blended. Whisk into vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in turkey, peas, yogurt, parsley and pepper. Spoon into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish; set aside. On a floured surface, roll out chilled Easy Puff Pastry 1/8 inch thick. Trim pastry to fit baking dish. Place pastry on top of filling in baking dish.
- Whisk together egg and water until blended. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Cut large vents in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and heated through, about 30 – 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
396 calories, 22.2 g fat, 20.7 g protein, 29.5 g carbohydrate, 2.9 g fibre, 584 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
If desired, the filling in this recipe may be divided among heatproof ramekins. Place a round of Easy Puff Pastry on top of filling in each ramekin, cutting large vents in pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and heated through.
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
Yield: Makes enough dough to top a 9x13 inch casserole.
- Place flour and butter in a food processor; process, using an on/off motion, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream and process, using an on/off motion, just until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Using floured hands, shape dough into a rectangle measuring about 8x12 inches. Place rectangle with long side parallel to edge of work surface. From one short side, fold one-third of dough toward centre. From other short side, fold one-third of dough toward centre, laying it on top. Rotate dough one-quarter turn and roll out into a rectangle measuring about 8x12 inches. With long side parallel to edge of work surface; repeat folding, rotating and rolling procedure two times, dusting dough with additional flour as needed. With long side parallel to edge of work surface; repeat folding procedure. Wrap folded dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.