This savoury rice pilaf gets its distinctive yellow colour from ground turmeric. Serve it as a side dish with fish or chicken.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Add rice, turmeric and salt; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in currants, almonds and cilantro.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
315 calories, 10.8 g fat, 6.4 g protein, 48.5 g carbohydrate, 2.8 g fibre, 471 mg sodium