TWO SEED SODA BREAD
Soda bread gets its rise from baking soda and buttermilk rather than traditional yeast. This version gets some crunch from ground flaxseed and poppy seeds. Serve it with butter.
Yield: Makes 1 loaf.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs and honey until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough gently 10 times. Shape dough into a ball; place on a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Flatten ball into a 7 inch round.
- Using a sharp knife, score an X in top of loaf, cutting 1/4 inch deep.
- Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 30 - 35 minutes. Cool loaf on a rack. Cut loaf into 8 wedges.
235 calories, 11.3 g fat, 6.9 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 3.9 g fibre, 276 mg sodium