- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- Flour (for dusting baking sheet)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- To prepare filling, melt butter in a medium frypan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and bell peppers; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, oregano, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Remove from heat; cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 10x15 inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; grease parchment paper and dust with flour.
- To make soufflé, use medium speed of an electric mixer and beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. In a bowl, beat together egg yolks, 3 tbsp flour, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper. Fold a quarter of beaten egg whites into yolk mixture to lighten. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, about 8 – 10 minutes. Run a spatula around sides of pan to loosen. Turn soufflé out onto a clean tea towel. Carefully remove parchment paper. Trim edges of soufflé if necessary. Starting with a long edge, roll soufflé and towel together jelly-roll fashion. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Unroll soufflé and spread with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border around edges. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Roll up soufflé to enclose filling. Place soufflé, seam side down, on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Remove baking sheet from refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle top of soufflé with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until light golden. Slice and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
694 calories, 38 g fat, 35.7 g protein, 51.1 g carbohydrate, 3.2 g fibre, 1329 mg sodium