VEGETARIAN SLOPPY JOES
Bulgur and black beans stand in for ground beef in this vegetarian version of a favourite weeknight meal. Serve the sweet ‘n’ spicy Joe mix on our homemade Seasame Hamburger Buns.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 Sesame Hamburger Buns halved or hamburger buns
- Bring tomato juice to a boil in a small non-reactive saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in bulgur. Let stand, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large deep frypan over medium heat. Add onions, chili powder, allspice, ginger and nutmeg; sauté for 2 minutes. Add green pepper and garlic; sauté until green pepper is tender, about 5 minutes. Add water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard; stir until blended.
- Fluff bulgur with a fork. Add bulgur and beans to onion mixture; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup of mixture onto bottom half of each Sesame Hamburger Bun. Cover with top halves of buns.
401 calories, 11.6 g fat, 12.6 g protein, 63.2 g carbohydrate, 8.2 g fibre, 583 mg sodium