Unlike some vegetarian patties, this veggie burger is actually packed with veggies! We start by grilling cauliflower, then combine it with chickpeas, carrots, zucchini and spices for a wholesome and flavourful burger patty.
Yield: Makes 15.
July 02, 2019
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into large florets
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 can chickpeas (19 oz/540 mL), rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chana flour
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Canola oil*
- 15 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on high heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine cauliflower and 1 tbsp canola oil. Place cauliflower in a grill wok or on a grill topper and grill, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and lightly browned, about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Chop cauliflower into small florets. Measure out 2 1/2 cups; reserve remaining cauliflower for another use.
- Place chickpeas and olive oil in a food processor; process until smooth. Add 2 1/2 cups cauliflower and process, using an on/off motion, until cauliflower is finely chopped and mixture is combined.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add chana flour, carrots, zucchini, green onions, almonds, parsley, lemon juice, eggs, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Shape mixture into 15 patties, each about 3 inches in diameter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Brush both sides of patties with additional canola oil. Working in batches, place patties on a grill topper and grill over high heat until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 3 - 4 minutes per side. Serve in buns.
256 calories, 8.5 g fat, 9.8 g protein, 36.3 g carbohydrate, 5.3 g fibre, 392 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.