VIETNAMESE PORK BURGERS
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped lemon grass stalk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion or shallots
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground pork
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 Sesame Hamburger Buns, halved, or hamburger buns
- Pickled Carrots
- Toppings: Processed cheese product, Thai sweet chili sauce, julienned seeded English cucumber, thinly sliced onion, sliced jalapeno pepper, chopped roasted peanuts
Yield: Makes 6.
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium frypan over medium-low heat. Add lemon grass, onion, ginger, lime leaves and garlic; sauté until lemon grass and onion are softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly; remove and discard lime leaves.
- Transfer lemon grass mixture to a bowl. Add pork, bread crumbs, beaten eggs, fish sauce, salt and pepper; stir until well blended. Shape mixture into 6 patties.
- Grill patties until completely cooked. Serve in Sesame Hamburger Buns with Pickled Carrots and toppings.
400 calories, 14.5 g fat, 25.2 g protein, 41.8 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 642 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups julienned carrots
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- Whisk together vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour vinegar mixture into a heavy zip-lock plastic bag. Add carrots and squeeze bag to coat carrots with vinegar mixture; seal bag and place on a plate. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drain carrots, discarding vinegar mixture.
21 calories, 0.1 g fat, 0.3 g protein. 5.1 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 21 mg sodium