WARM LENTIL SALAD
This warm salad is a combination of potatoes, lentils, baby kale, asparagus and goat cheese. Serve it as a side dish alongside barbecued meat or fish.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups unpeeled baby yellow potatoes, halved
- 2 1/2 cups sliced asparagus (1 inch)
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) baby kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- Combine 4 cups water, lentils, garlic, bay leaf and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 20 - 25 minutes. Drain; remove and discard garlic and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, adding asparagus for last 2 minutes of cooking; drain and set aside.
- Spread lentils out in a rimmed baking sheet to cool slightly; set aside.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together vinegar, chives, shallot and mustard until combined. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup oil until blended; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add potatoes and asparagus; sauté until warmed, about 2 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until kale wilts slightly, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Combine lentils and potato mixture in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
234 calories, 11.1 g fat, 9.9 g protein, 26.2 g carbohydrate, 7.4 g fibre, 348 mg sodium
Baby kale is more tender and mild in flavour than mature kale. It is often used as a salad green. Look for it in the produce section of grocery stores where packaged greens are sold.