WHIPPED PARSNIPS WITH ROASTED GARLIC
- 5 cups cubed peeled parsnips
- 1 head roasted garlic, puréed
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Cook parsnips in boiling water until tender, about 25 minutes; drain.
- Transfer parsnips to a bowl. Add roasted garlic purée, cream, butter, salt and nutmeg. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat parsnip mixture until smooth. May be prepared up to 1 hour in advance.
- To reheat, cover in a microwave-safe container. Microwave on medium (50% power), stirring once, until hot, about 3 - 5 minutes.
169 Calories, 9.8 g fat, 1.9 g protein, 20.1 g carbohydrate, 4.1 g fibre, 255 mg sodium
To prepare roasted garlic, cut the top 1/4 inch off each garlic head. Place each garlic head on a piece of foil. Drizzle each head with a little canola oil and sprinkle with dried thyme. Twist foil around each head to enclose completely. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 30 - 45 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic out of skins and purée. Roasted garlic purée may be frozen, packaged in multiple layers, for up to 1 month.