WHOLE GRAIN NO-KNEAD BREAD
This yeasty bread recipe is a cinch to make. You don’t need to knead, but the dough does need plenty of time to rise. We make this version with whole wheat flour and grain cereal.
Yield: Makes 1 loaf.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/2 cup cool tap water (55 – 65°F)
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cracked wheat, rye and flax cereal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- Bread flour (for dusting surface)
- Canola oil
- Whisk together water and honey in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine flours, cereal, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Stir in water mixture until well combined, about 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until more than tripled in volume, about 12 – 16 hours.
- Transfer dough to a generously floured surface. Sprinkle dough with flour. Stretch and fold edges over centre of dough until surface of dough ball is tight, about 6 – 12 times, to develop structure. Shape dough into a ball and transfer into a floured bowl, seam side up. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Proof dough until almost doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Set a round 2 quart Dutch oven and lid on the centre rack of your oven and preheat to 475°F.
- Remove Dutch oven from oven and lightly oil bottom. Transfer dough to Dutch oven, seam side down. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake until golden brown, about 10 – 15 minutes.
111 calories, 0.5 g fat, 3.3 g protein, 23.6 g carbohydrate, 1.3 g fibre, 292 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
We used Sunny Boy Hot Cereal, which is a mixture of wheat, rye and flax. If you’re using another pre-packaged mix, check the ingredients list to make sure it doesn’t contain rice. You can also build you own cereal mixture out of flax seed, rolled oats, wheat bran and quinoa or chia seeds.
If you are unable to find a round 2 quart Dutch oven, a round 2 quart lidded casserole dish can be used instead.