Cook fennel in white wine to make this elegant vegetable side dish. These delicately flavoured fennel bulbs go beautifully with roast chicken or fish.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 8 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp sage, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare buttered crumbs, combine bread crumbs and 1 tbsp melted butter in a small bowl; set aside.
- Trim base of fennel bulbs; slice off tops. Remove outer layer of bulbs. Quarter trimmed bulbs lengthwise and cut out centermost piece of core, leaving wedges intact.
- Cook fennel in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Remove from water using a slotted spoon. Place in a single layer in a greased shallow 3 quart baking dish.
- Combine 2 tbsp melted butter, sage, salt and pepper; drizzle over fennel. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Combine wine and broth. Pour wine mixture along sides of dish, being careful not to wash any of the butter mixture off fennel.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven. Uncover and sprinkle fennel with buttered crumbs. Continue baking, uncovered, until buttered crumbs are golden, about 15 minutes.
126 calories, 4.3 g fat, 3.5 g protein, 19.8 g carbohydrate, 6.2 g fibre, 225 mg sodium