Making a gingerbread house is a fun activity for the whole family and can be the start of a wonderful Christmas tradition! Let us show you how to make the perfect house, starting with our spicy gingerbread recipe followed by our helpful instructions on how to create a sturdy house. Once it has had time to set, it is then ready to decorate.
Before you get started, here are some expert tips:
- Make your template. Our template below is a guide for you and will make the perfect-sized gingerbread house for the gingerbread recipe provided.
- Important note: This template is NOT to scale. Follow dimensions provided to measure out the correct sized house pieces.
- Using template below, draw and cut gingerbread house pattern pieces out of thick paper or cardboard according to the dimensions and shapes in first two diagrams. Cut one pattern piece only for end wall, side wall, roof half and chimney pieces. Each pattern piece will be used two times, except for the chimney pieces, which are used one time.
- If you prefer to make your own template, build it first with cardboard to ensure it will work before cutting out the gingerbread pieces.
- Roll and cut dough directly onto parchment paper for easy transfer to baking sheets.
- Work quickly to trim baked pieces. As they cool they become harder to trim.
- Royal frosting is key! It will harden like glue and hold your house together. Have patience with this as it takes a while to harden fully.
- Let your house SET completely before adding decorations.
- There are endless decorating ideas! Gather a wide assortment of candies to give time