How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs have become a popular way to make hot chocolate and are a super fun activity for the whole family. Let us show you how to make these deliciously decadent chocolate treats using 3 simple ingredients. If desired, they can be decorated and individually wrapped to give as a gift from the kitchen.
Here are some guidelines to help you succeed in making these fun gifts at home.
For each Hot Chocolate Bomb you will need:
Two 2 1/2 inch semi-sphere silicon moulds
1 tbsp hot chocolate mix
1/2 cup tempered dark chocolate
Edible decorations, such as sprinkles and pearls, optional
You can either use a commercial hot chocolate mix or make your own, like our Spicy Hot Chocolate Mix.
You can use any leftover tempered chocolate to drizzle designs onto your bombs or use it as glue to help edible sprinkles or other decorations to stick.
- To make things easier, cut your silicon moulds into individual pieces and work with one mould at a time.
- Pour melted chocolate into one mould until full. Reverse mould and pour the excess back into the melted chocolate. Place the mould upside down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat this process with the remaining moulds.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is hard, about 15 minutes. Carefully peel silicon moulds from chocolate cups.
- With a clean, dry, food-safe brush, brush more melted chocolate around the rim of the chocolate cups. This will prevent thin edges, making it easier to seal the bombs. Place shells upside down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and return to the refrigerator until chocolate is hard about 10 minutes. Remove the cups from the refrigerator and keep them in a cool place until needed.
- Heat an empty small frypan on low heat just until warm, about 10 seconds.
- Place the edge of one chocolate cup briefly on the warmed pan to smooth out the edge and remove any imperfections.
- Place a tablespoon of hot chocolate mix into this cup. Fill the remaining space with mini marshmallows and desired add-ins.
- Take a second cup and melt the edge as directed in Step 6 and immediately place onto the filled cup. Hold in your hands for a few seconds to allow the chocolate to harden and seal. Repeat with remaining chocolate cups.
- Decorate as desired. If you are giving your Hot Chocolate Bombs as gifts, wrap them individually. Store in a cool, dry location for up to 6 months.
How to Melt & Temper Chocolate
Melting chocolate might seem simple enough, but there’s a bit more to it than that. Learn some tips on melting chocolate and tempering to give your chocolate its characteristic shine and snap.