FRIED TOFU STICKS
Serve this vegetarian dish as an appetizer in place of chicken wings or meatballs. They go wonderfully with our Indonesian peanut butter-based Gado Gado Dip.
Yield: Makes 16.
July 02, 2019
- 1 pkg (350 g) extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Drain tofu on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels; pat tofu dry with paper towels. Cut tofu crosswise into 8 pieces. Cut each piece into 2 finger-like sticks, each measuring about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- To prepare marinade, combine soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar and red pepper flakes in a heavy zip-lock plastic bag. Add tofu sticks and squeeze bag gently to coat sticks with marinade. Seal bag and place on a plate. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- Remove tofu sticks from marinade and drain on a tray lined with several layers of paper towels; discard marinade.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large nonstick frypan over medium heat. Cook tofu sticks in batches, adding remaining oil as necessary, until heated through and golden brown, about 1 - 2 minutes per side. Drain tofu sticks on paper towels. Serve immediately.
47 calories, 3.6 g fat, 2.4 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 143 mg sodium