Honey Orange Sourdough Rolls
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (8 g) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk (2%), scalded and cooled to 110°F
- 1/2 cup prepared sourdough starter, allow to come to room temperature
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup liquid honey, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, stir sugar into warm water. Sprinkle with yeast and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in milk, sourdough starter, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup honey and salt.
- Gradually mix in 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour; dough will be sticky. Turn dough into a greased bowl, turn over to grease top, cover bowl and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make filling by creaming together 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup honey and orange peel. Stir in almonds; set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12 x 15-inch rectangle. Spread prepared filling evenly over dough.
- Beginning at opposite long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion. Cut across roll in 1-inch thick slices and arrange, cut-side-up, in prepared pan.
- Cover and let rise until almost double, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until browned on top. Cool rolls in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
290 calories, 11.3 g fat, 4.9 g protein, 43.5 g carbohydrate, 1.5 g fibre, 160 mg sodium
To scald milk, place milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, just until milk begins to bubble around edges. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
As an alternative, substitute the filling for 1/4 cup salted butter, softened, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and 1 tbsp cinnamon to make delicious sourdough cinnamon buns.