Sourdough is a bread that has a tangy or sour flavour. This distinct flavour comes from the homemade leavener, called a sourdough starter. Our sourdough starter uses honey, yogurt, and milk instead of sugar and water. Take your bread making skills to the next level and join the craze!
Yield: Makes about 3 cups
May 06, 2020
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water, milk and honey. Heat mixture until 100°F, remove from heat.
- Add yeast and yogurt to milk mixture, stirring to dissolve.
- Stir in 2 cups flour and beat until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 L container, covering loosely with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature for 4 days, stirring two times a day. During this time mixture will bubble and separate, stir mixture back together.
- On fourth day, feed starter with 1/4 cup water and 1/3 cup flour, let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Allow starter to come back to room temperature before using. Feed starter every 2 weeks.
- To replenish your starter after use, mix 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup milk to remaining starter. Allow to stand at room temperature for 24 hours before returning to the refrigerator.