SLOW COOKER LASAGNA
It’s hard to believe, but lasagna cooks up wonderfully in the slow cooker. Layer uncooked lasagna noodles with our Freezer Tomato Sauce, ground beef, spinach and cheese for an unbelievably easy version of this family favourite.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 2/3 cups thawed Freezer Tomato Sauce or 1 jar (650 mL) tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 9 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add beef and cook, stirring to break up beef, until browned and cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a large bowl.
- Add Freezer Tomato Sauce, water, spinach, onion, basil and oregano to beef; stir to combine. Stir in cottage cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese and beaten egg until combined.
- Spread 2 cups of beef mixture in bottom of a greased 6 quart slow cooker. Place 3 uncooked noodles on top, breaking noodles as needed to fit. Repeat layering two times, each time using 2 cups of beef mixture and 3 uncooked noodles. Spread remaining beef mixture evenly over noodles.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting until liquid is absorbed and noodles are tender, about 4 hours. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
423 calories, 19.6 g fat, 31.6 g protein, 30.8 g carbohydrate, 6.2 g fibre, 630 mg sodium