Sourdough starter is just the beginning! Go beyond making bread and try your hand at making a weekend family favourite - waffles. Impress your family with your culinary skills and try our recipe for sourdough waffles.
Yield: Makes about 16 waffles
May 06, 2020
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110ᵒF)
- 3/4 cup prepared sourdough starter, allow to come to room temperature
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine flour, water and sourdough starter. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Stir in egg yolks and butter into sourdough mixture. Add sugar, baking soda and salt and stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Cook in a preheated greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown.
93 calories, 3.6 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 12.4 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 202 mg sodium