Vegetable Butternut Squash Stew
A hearty vegetarian stew that pairs perfectly with our Whole Grain No-Knead Bread.
Yield: Makes about 16 cups
December 19, 2019
Vegetable Buttnut Squash Stew
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté squash, onions, red peppers and carrots for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Pour in wine and simmer, loosening browned bits, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 30 – 35 minutes.
Nutritional analysis per 1 cup serving: 181 calories, 3 g fat, 8 g protein, 31.1 g carbohydrate, 8.1 g fibre, 120 mg sodium
Tip: Cook’s Note: As an alternative to using 3 different types of canned beans, 3 cans of a mixed bean blend can be used as long as green beans are not included.