A successful party begins with a plan. Start with these basic details: theme, number of guests, time, location, décor and menu. The more organized and prepared you are, the less stressful the day will be so that you can enjoy the party as well.
- Select a theme. Themes are great for helping choose décor, food and beverages.
- Set a budget.
- Decide on the number of guests you can accommodate comfortably keeping in mind the cost.
- Select a time and location.
- Send invitations with all the appropriate information, covering the Who, What, When, Where and Why.
- Make a checklist of everything you will need including the number of plates, napkins, cutlery, glasses, mugs, serving utensils etc.
- When selecting recipes, choose a variety that you can make ahead as well as the day of. Be mindful of how much time you will have before the event begins.
- Plan on most people having 1-2 beverages per hour.
- Have alternate plans if the party’s set to be outside. If you can’t get a large tent, umbrellas can be used for shade as well as for the rain
The Day Before:
If possible -
- Decorate and set up tables and chairs.
- Pull together and set aside, all items you will need such as table cloths, plates, napkins, cutlery, glasses, mugs, serving utensils, spoon rests, and trivets. Start this process as soon as possible to avoid the last-minute rush.
- If the party is outdoors, set up tents, tables and chairs.
- Place frozen food in the refrigerator to thaw in time for the party.
The Day of the Party:
- If you are unable to decorate the day before, give yourself enough time to decorate before your guests arrive. This includes setting up a gift table if needed.
- Set up a buffet table if using one and set tables.
- Keep in mind the two-hour food safety rule: Perishable foods should not be kept at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Use ice packs to keep cold foods cold and warming trays or electric induction units to keep hot foods hot. Or, put out smaller plates of dishes of perishable foods and swap out for fresh food within the 2-hour window.
- Set up a beverage table for punch and a cooler to hold ice and drinks. Try our Elegant White Punch or Glacial Refresher at your next event.