Italian Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pizza
This delicious take-out worthy pizza is super easy to make and is a perfect meal for those busy days. You can adjust the spiciness, depending on your family’s preference.
Yield: Serves 6
January 13, 2021
- 1/2 lb (250 g) medium or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 can (213 mL) pizza sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 12-14 inch pizza crust
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Crumble sausage into a frypan and cook until browned and completely cooked. Drain off fat.
- Stir in pizza sauce, Italian seasoning and jalapeno pepper and simmer 1 minute.
- Place pizza crust on a preheated pizza stone or on a cookie sheet. Spread sausage mixture over crust. Top with bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 10 – 12 minutes. Slice and serve.
269 calories, 11.3 g fat, 13.1 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fibre, 798 mg sodium
For a crisper crust, slide prepared pizza onto an oven rack in the bottom third of the preheated oven. Place cookie sheet directly under pizza on a separate oven rack. When the pizza is cooked, slide from oven rack onto a cookie sheet and remove from oven. Cook for a shorter time, only until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Hot peppers cause severe skin and eye irritation. Wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers and avoid touching any exposed skin.