Overnight Sourdough Bread
Wondering how to use your sourdough starter now that it is made and ready to use? Start with our easy overnight sourdough bread recipe. There is nothing like fresh bread out of the oven, so it is a good thing that this recipe makes 2 loaves!
Yield: Makes 2 loaves
May 08, 2020
- 6 - 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups warm water (100°F - 110°F)
- 1 cup prepared sourdough starter, allow to come to room temperature
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Water, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, water, sourdough starter, sugar and salt. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 18 hours.
- Uncover dough; beat in 2 - 3 cups flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 - 10 minutes. If dough is too sticky, gradually knead in additional flour, 1 tbsp at a time, until easy to handle.
- Lightly flour rolling pin and divide dough into 2. For each loaf, use the rolling pin to roll dough into a rectangle with the long sides, about 8 inches. Use a small amount of additional flour on counter to prevent sticking.
- Starting with a long side closest to you, roll dough up jelly roll-fashion. Close and pinch the end of the dough to form a seam on the roll. Pull and fold over each end of the roll and pinch to seal.
- Turn the loaf over so the seams are down. Place in a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan or onto a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat with other half of dough. If baking without loaf pans, space the 2 loaves evenly apart on rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover loaves loosely with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in volume, about 2 – 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 - 50 minutes. Loaves will sound hollow when lightly tapped with fingers. Cool loaves in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert loaves onto racks and cool completely. May be frozen.
131 calories, 0.3 g fat, 3.8 g protein, 27.6 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 220 mg sodium