Spring is officially here! As the weather gets steadily better, we can now start all those tedious tasks we’ve been putting off. If your cleaning supplies cupboard looks as dusty as your house, there is no better time than now to let the process begin. After all, a whole home refresh is not only good for the body but also good for the soul.
Special Circumstances: COVID-19 and other contagions
If you are cleaning your home specifically to disinfect for contagions, we highly recommend visiting our page: How to Disinfect – COVID-19 Preparedness.
Top Things to do in Spring
There are certain things that make more sense to do in the spring than at any other time of year. Here is a list of our favourites:
1. To bring in all that extra light, clean windows and window screens, both inside and out, clean all your window treatments, and clean your ceiling light fixtures.
2. Dust ceiling fans and wipe blades using a damp microfibre cloth. Take apart and clean bathroom fans and grills.
3. Vacuum cold air returns and furnace vents. Damp wipe them clean.
4. Empty the pantry and go through food items; get rid of any outdated items. For a general guideline on how long you should be storing pantry items, see How to Store Food Safely.
5. Clean outside of kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors. Use a wood cabinet conditioner, if needed.
6. Clear out the clothes closets and change out winter gear to spring stuff. Separate clothing that needs to go to the dry cleaner and items that need to be machine washed.
7. Reorganize your clothes closets with new shelves or boxes and bins. This one is high on the self-satisfaction scale.
8. Vacuum bed mattresses and turn over or rotate.
9. Clean bed pillows and comforters. Replace with lighter-weight bedding or remove extra blankets, if desired.
10. Now you can see how dirty your walls are! Dust with a slightly damp, clean floor mop. Wash walls only if needed.
11. Wash garbage, recycle and compost bins inside the house with hot soapy water and disinfect them (if needed) using the proportions on this page.
12. Check and replace furnace filters, if needed. Write on the new filters the date they were replaced to make it easier to remember.
13. Check and replace batteries in smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and outside security cameras.
14. Uncover and clean your air conditioner and get it ready to go, according to your manual.
15. Clean and demineralize your humidifier filter, you can use vinegar. This makes it ready for when the air gets drier next fall.
16. Shake out and air outside all area mats and small carpets.
17. Clean indoor and outdoor doormats to prevent new dirt from coming inside.